SOD Club Updates
February 17th, 2017
What an exciting past weekend for ski racing in Canada! Erik Guay and Manuel Osborne-Paradis collected 3 World Championships Medals in the SG and downhill events in St. Moritz and Marielle Thompson and Brady Leman won World Cup Ski Cross gold in Sweden! Momentum is rolling for our Canadian teams at the moment!
- Minutes from the Feb 8th SOD Club call can be found here. These clubs calls spark informative discussions so please encourage a representative from your club to attend the next call on March 8th at 5pm.
- The 5th U14 and U16 race is scheduled for the Feb 25-26 weekend. Please see the SOD Cup schedule for your athletes allocated race. Each race will be year of birth and gender separated. Ie. 2002 Females will race at Caledon, 2002 Men at Osler. This event weekend has been dubbed RACE FEST! For participating host clubs, Sporting Life, one of AOA’s platinum partners has agreed to supply $500 in prizing and SOD has contributed $500 to support a bbq, more prizing and/or giveaways! The RACE FEST event hosts have also been given the option to submit a video highlighting their RACE FEST event and the winning video will win Dynastar or Rossignol skis! Winner to be announced in the March 9 edition of Raceline. Click here for an example of a video that was produced at last weekend’s FIS race at Camp Fortune.
- Congratulations to the following athletes who have qualified for U14 and U16 OCUP FINALS from their SOD Cup series!
|U16 SOD Cup Series 3||Caroline Karnay – Georgian Peaks||Stephenson Hillock – Craigleith|
|U14 SOD Cup Series 1||Sara Warner – Beaver Valley||Ryan Morton – Craigleith|
The remaining SOD Cup series winners will be announced after this weekend’s races. Please confirm your athletes interest in attending based on the following criteria from the program guidelines:
For An SOD CUP athlete to participate in the OCUP Finals athletes must;
- have won the SOD CUP series group they are competing in (total accumulation of SOD CUP points)
- be registered with Alpine Ontario as an SOD CUP athlete
- have a Fitness Test result on record with AOA dated between Sept 1st and December 31st, 2016
- be recommended by their Head Coach
For those not attending the U16 OCUP FINALS March 11th is a SOD Open Championships at Mansfield details are on the AOA website under SOD CUP invitational schedule.
- Please help us promote the Live & Loud AOA Fundraiser Saturday March 4th in conjunction with the World Cup Ski Cross. All the details can be found here: https://www.alpineontario.ca/liveandloud/.
- Please see a flyer attached for a U of T student conducting concussion research whom is looking for candidates for her study. In return for their participation, athlete’s will receive financial compensation and weekly medical care from a sports-medicine physician at the University of Toronto on a priority basis at our clinic. In order to be eligible to participate, athletes must sign up within 5 days of sustaining their injury. Recruiting of candidates will take place in the spring/summer so please keep this option in mind for your training camps during those times.
- SOD Ski Team is hosting a series of ski up training opportunities for graduating U16 athletes. These opportunities will take place at SODT training days between March 4-5 and March 25-26, the contact person is T.E.S Hynes SODT Women’s Coach, you can reach him at firstname.lastname@example.org for details. For further information on the SOD Ski Team click here.
January 27th, 2017
- Please communicate the OCUP leader bib information to your race crews and coaches so everyone is on the same page. Information in the program guidelines and below:
OCUP Points and leader bibs – OCUP Points are posted on the U14 and U16 pages of the AOA website in Related Documents – Click here and here. FIS are posted here. We will endeavour to have them posted as quickly as possible after each OCUP event. U14, U16, and FIS will have leader bibs for those athletes leading the OCUP series – male and female. Leader bibs are to be passed on from host to host – athletes are not to keep the bibs. Please either leave them in the bib set you are passing on coordinate with the next venue for pickup or drop off. This is an exciting new element to enhance the OCUP series and we appreciate your work to help us circulate the bibs to the next venue. The leaders are still entered into the draw as per normal. They just get to wear the leader bib.
- Please find minutes from the Wednesday January 18th SOD Club Call posted here. The next SOD Club Call will be Wed Feb 8 at 5pm. The agenda will be circulated along with GoToMeeting call in details next week.
- The start of SOD Cup points are posted here. Top male and female athletes in each series/group, at the completion of the 4 regular races, will have the opportunity to attend OCUP Finals. The Feb 25/26 age group all series event will not be included in the SOD Cup points. As mentioned in the SOD club call last week, please post your results to acapoints.ca as soon as possible after the completion of your event so we can update the points weekly.
- U16 Nationals information has been updated which is attached. The document includes more specifics on ski transportation and baggage. Many thanks to a few coaches that stepped up to drive the ski truck to Thunder Bay! Don’t forget to check out http://www.u16ski.ca/ for all the latest information on the event.
- U8+ SOD athletes are welcome to attend Thursday Night “NZ get in the Gates” hosted by Craigleith Ski Club. Dave Campbell reports on last night’s camp: We had another successful night last night with approx. 70 athletes and a number of coaches out supporting this great event! Attached is a poster to help you promote it as well as link below to pre-register. We had the full SOD ski team out last night and its great seeing the younger athletes skiing next to and also racing in dual’s with our top athletes from the division. CLICK HERE TO REGISTER FOR NZ THURSDAY NIGHT TRAINING
- A reminder that there are EL, DL and NCCP courses coming up – check the details out here.
January 13th, 2017
Updates for this week:
1. OCUP Points and leader bibs – OCUP Points are posted on the U14 and U16 pages of the AOA website in Related Documents – Click here and here. FIS are posted here. We will endeavour to have them posted as quickly as possible after each OCUP event. U14, U16, and FIS will have leader bibs for those athletes leading the OCUP series – male and female. Leader bibs are to be passed on from host to host – athletes are not to keep the bibs. Please either leave them in the bib set you are passing on coordinate with the next venue for pickup or drop off. This is an exciting new element to the enhance the OCUP series and we appreciate your work to help us circulate the bibs to the next venue. The leaders are still entered into the draw as per normal. They just get to wear the leader bib.
2. SOD Cup Program Guidelines – please make ensure that you have read the SOD Amendments on page 21 for the Program Guidelines – these amendments are relevant to SOD Cup racing and if there isn’t an amendment in SOD then guidelines can be found in the AOA age group section from page 4-20. Club scoring will be executed for U12/U14/U16 – U12 is new this year as it wasn’t done last year. Details are the same as last year – see page 27 of the Program Guidelines.
3. SOD U19/U21 start order has been changed by the SOD Committee from random to national point protocol and will be reflected in the program guidelines next week.
4. Partner Awards and Media document can be found here on the AOA website. There is summary page for awards which is helpful for quick reference.
5. SOD Club Call Agenda – Wed January 18th 5pm
- Coaching certifications and Licencing
- U14 OCUP Start Order
- OCUP Points & leader bibs
- AOA Program Guidelines
- Helmets and Back Protectors
- Acapoints.ca activations
- U14/U16 OCUP Finals
- SOD Camp Schedule
- SOD Invitationals
- SOD U10
- SOD CUP Points
- SOD Qualification to OCUP Finals
SOD Club Call
Wed, Jan 18, 2017 5:00 PM – 6:30 PM EST
Please join my meeting from your computer, tablet or smartphone.
You can also dial in using your phone.
Canada: +1 (647) 497-9372
Access Code: 202-918-973
First GoToMeeting? Try a test session: http://help.citrix.com/getready
6. AOA Club Call Minutes from Wed Jan 11 are here. Some of the above content was covered in this call.
7. Please be advised the Jan 20th U16 OCUP SG at Osler will be re-scheduled to Feb 2 due to snow and safety concerns. The Osler ROC accessed the hill multiple times since the warm weather hit this week and combined with the continued warmer weather to come, we have decided to re-schedule.
8. SOD U16 Nationals selection will be moved to Feb 10th due to re-schedule of the Osler SG events and will be reflected in the program guidelines next week.
December 23rd, 2016
A few updates before the holidays begin below:
- AOA Program Guidelines version #2 can be found here. This version includes SOD selection criteria for U16 Nationals, SOD Cup scoring, OCUP host paperwork requirements and some other minor clarifications.
- Password reminders on the AOA registration website are not working. If a member of your club requires a password re-set to access the registration system, please have them send an email to email@example.com. We will endeavour to re-set on the same day as the request. Apologies for the problem.
- SOD has scheduled 2 officials courses over the holidays. Fri Jan 6th, Entry Level Update (1:30-3:30) and Sat Jan 7th, Level 1 (1-4pm) both at the Collingwood Public Library. Please sign up on-line for these courses.
- For those clubs who are hosting OCUP’s, race notices can be uploaded to our website. Instructions here.
- Please find a SOD communication sent by Scott Barrett earlier this week attached. Given some of the off-season operational changes here at AOA we wanted to provide a brief summary of the roles and responsibilities of some of our key staff as well as some of the short term communication plans for SOD as well as for AOA.
- AOA and SOD are going to separate club calls for the remainder of the season so the focus of content is most relevant for those on the call. The remainder of the season’s club call dates can be found below:
Agenda’s will be distributed 1 week prior to the call.
7. See AOA Membership benefits detail by clicking here
8. December 29th, 2016, join Canadian National Ski Team Member Phil Brown, and CAST alum Kate Ryley for the 4th NZ Cup at Craigleith Ski Club.
The NZ Cup, is an event held in recognition of the late Nik Zoricic and his exceptional impact and accomplishments within the alpine ski racing and ski cross communities in Ontario. The timing of the event is designed to showcase Ontario’s elite level athletes including Canadian Ski Team, NCAA, and Ontario Team athletes, while also creating an excellent environment for our developing racers both male and female in a holiday environment. To register, or for more information, please click here
9. Please see attached a Sporting Life Collingwood Promotion for all AOA members on Dec 27-28. Race NC base grind and base edge set, & Infra Red wax treatment” a regular $85. Value for $60 . Just in time for the local ski race season
10. Please read the December Ontario Ski Team update by clicking here. Many early season podium finishes for the OST.
11. AOA office will be closed Dec 24-27 and Dec 31-Jan 2. Emails will be monitored during the office closure.
Happy Holidays and see you at the first races of the season!
December 16th, 2016
- Registration is now open for the 2017 Ontario High Performance Symposium hosted by the Canadian Sport Institute Ontario January 13 from 9am-4pm in Scarborough. Please join us for a day of various presentations and speakers from many different disciplines on the topic of “Tracking and Monitoring Athletes in Training and Competition”. Click here for more details.
- SOD TD Assignments have been posted to the AOA website here. Check back here for updates.
- OCUP Host Venues: The AOA Officials Committee is working to improve the race quality of alpine ski racing throughout the province. At this time we are working to centralize all reports from OCUP races.
We would ask that following an OCUP race, the following paperwork is made into ONE PDF FILE. Please call the file the following: ClubNameMonthDayYearAgegroupGender
- Official Race Results
- Timing Report
- Technical Delegate Report
- Team Captain meeting Attendance
- Team Captain Meeting Minutes
- Referee Report
- ALL Jury Minutes
And sent to the following email address firstname.lastname@example.org within 5 days of the race. Click here for all of the documents which are on the bottom of the following page on the AOA website under OCUP Forms. These forms should also be used for SOD Cup races.
- Please find the SOD club contact list attached for SOD Cup race notice distribution. Medals will be distributed in the next few weeks.
- If you have club members racing at US academies/universities/colleges please update the attached document. We would like to be able to reach out to those athletes in regard to qualifying for major events as well as to communicate directly on other relevant information.
- If your club has athletes that still need to register for OCUP with AOA please have them register by Dec 20th. We need to assess numbers for the first few races of the season.
- Race notices are starting to be posted for FIS and OCUP races. Please go to Racing>Calendar>Full Calendar. Click on the date you are looking for and then event and the race notice will be posted there. Templates are available here at the bottom of the page under OCUP Forms.
- Codex’s for January OCUP’s are now ready for race entry on www.acapoints.ca. The next racer upload will be done on Monday/Tuesday.
- Craigleith is hosting a FIS slalom race on December 29th and looking for gatekeepers. If you are interested in volunteering for this position please email email@example.com.Gatekeepers will be provided with snacks, water and lunch and are asked to meet Sheryl Rubinoff (Chief of Gates) at the storage shed at the top of Millennium (race hill) 40 minutes prior to the first racer (race schedule will be emailed once finalized).
Please feel free to forward this email to anyone interested. Thanks we are looking forward to a great race!
- Here at Alpine Ontario headquarters this year we are really looking to revamp our social media platforms to better promote, our Athletes. Social media is a great way to promote your clubs, your athletes and also keep your friends and family informed on your year of skiing! One of the primary strategies that we have started is using the hashtag #AOAski on all of our Instagram and Facebook posts. Adding this hashtag to your posts allows your photos to be displayed on our virtual AOA Instagram and Facebook group allowing you to stay up-to-date on all the cool things your friends are doing in the Ontario ski racing community. Throughout the 2016/2017 winter season we will also be introducing a few online contests where you can win some awesome prizes by putting the #AOAski hashtag on your posts. Check us out on Instagram at “alpineontario” for more.
Also, if you have photos that you would like to share with us directly we would be very happy to see and use them to promote the athletes through our channels. You can send these photos/videos via the website www.wetransfer.com to the email firstname.lastname@example.org. This is a very easy website to send up to 2GB files directly to our headquarters at AOA.
December 10th, 2016
Winter is officially here at AOA headquarters. We hope everyone else is getting this first hit of winter as well.
- Thank you to all of those who attended the club call on Wednesday evening. For those that missed it, click here for the minutes. Next meeting will be Wednesday January 11th at 5pm. We thought the GoToMeeting platform worked really well and will be using it from now on. We encourage everyone to try it out on the next call as it’s very user friendly and a very effective way to point you towards resources using share screen option.
- As mentioned in the club call, AOA has coordinated with the Coaching Association of Ontario some grant opportunities for our coaches. See details below: The Coaches Association of Ontario is providing bursaries to coaches looking to take a course in the next three months. Receive 70% (up to a maximum of $400 per individual in the fiscal year – April 1, 2016-March 31, 2017), of your course fee back through a Quest for Gold Coach Bursary. CLICK HERE for more info.
Courses eligible for a bursary in the sport of Alpine:
- Alpin / Ski alpin Performance Level Intro 2 Course
- Alpin / Ski alpin Development Level Course
- Alpin / Ski alpin Performance Level Intro 1 Course
- Alpin / Ski alpin Entry Level Course
- For those athletes who are planning on attending the U14 or U16 OCUP Finals, a fitness test is mandatory for participation. If a test has been performed in another sport by a coach/teacher between Sept 1-Dec 31, it may apply. Contact AOA to confirm. For those athletes who missed the AOA fitness testing sessions in the Fall, Active Life Conditioning will be hosting two sessions at their training centre at 8 Stewart Road in Collingwood. Cost is $30+hst. You are required to pre-register for the date of your choice. Space is limited. No walk ins. If you have any questions email email@example.com
- Testing Session #1 Saturday December 17th 9:30-12pm
- Register at this link by December 15th
- Testing Session #2 Thursday December 29th 4-6:30pm
- Register at this Link by December 24th
- Please find the U12-U16 SOD Cup calendar posted here. Thank you to the SOD Committee along with a few key RA’s who drove this project along. We are hoping this version is final however we know there may be a few changes. New versions will be posted here moving forward with the publication date included in the title.
November 29th, 2016
Despite the balmy temperatures, the Farmer’s Almanac and The Weather Network are still predicting a cold, snowy winter. “Winter will be colder than normal, with above-normal precipitation and snowfall. The coldest periods will be in early to mid-January, late January, and late February, with the snowiest periods in mid- and late December, early January, and mid-February.”
Winter is coming! We just need to wait a little bit longer.
Updates for this week below:
- AOA will be uploading AOA athlete registration data to www.acapoints.ca weekly starting Monday Dec 5th and subsequent Monday’s at 9am until all 2016-17 athletes are registered. An athlete cannot be added to a start list and collect points until they are registered with AOA and have been uploaded to www.acapoints.ca. Click here for information on how to use www.acapoints.ca.
- AOA has created a direct link to our officials page on our website – officials.alpineontario.ca. Please bookmark this page on your phones for easy access on-hill for rules and forms.
- AOA has created a Club Information Page on the AOA website. All club emails since June are posted here. Please refer to this page for answers to some of your questions.
- AOA will be hosting a club call on Wed Dec 7th at 5pm. An agenda will be circulated to you by the end of the week. Please let us know if there is anything you would like added. Participation is strongly encouraged. The purpose of these calls is for AOA to pass on updates to member clubs and answer any questions or concerns.
- Please click here for Para Quest for Gold – Ontario Athlete Assistance Program 2016-17 Athlete Selection Criteria.
- AOA will be publishing the 2016/17 Program Guidelines on Friday Dec 2nd.
- Another reminder to pass on to your members the new helmet and back protector rules for the upcoming season. Please see the Nov 23rd posting on the Club Information page.
- SOD would like to get a clear picture of who is currently an active Level 2 official at your club. Please complete the attached spreadsheet for your club and send it to Marc at firstname.lastname@example.org by Dec 15th please.
- Click here for AOA’s PAM Partners, Awards and Media package. This is a great guide for ensuring support of AOA partners is seamless at AOA sanctioned events.