We believe in connecting like-minded athletes across the province and are adapting the program to work within our current constraints (details below) and bring value to your training
- The program will offer a periodized fitness program running from May 1st through the end of November. The program will include the program handout including links to videos for each exercise, fitness tracking, and a discount for individual programming and workouts with our conditioning partners.
- Grade 10 Civics and Careers course. This is a two half-credit course run through the Simcoe Muskoka Catholic District School Board.
We have officially cancelled our Les Deux Alpes camp and continue to monitor the global developments in order to make a decision surrounding the Zermatt camp.
This U16 High-Performance Program (HPP) is an initiative that started in 2016 with consultations with Alpine Canada Alpin (ACA), The Ontario Ministry of Tourism, Culture, and Sport (MTCS) and the AOA member clubs. The program is collaborative in design, to work alongside club and regional programs and in no way replaces the existing club programs, their club/region camps and/or training days. Athletes in the U16 Program remain with their existing teams and clubs.
CRITERIA TO APPLY:
2005 & 2006 AOA Registered athletes from across the province that meet the selection criteria listed below are welcome to apply.
- To put the most committed and talented 2005 & 2006 athletes together.
- To increase an athlete’s time on snow;
- To raise their fitness level,
- To increase encouragement and motivation;
- To support AOA clubs with athlete development &
- To engage those looking for high-performance initiatives.
Why would an athlete consider this program?
- To work hard while having fun and meeting new friends.
- Train alongside the other top athletes in the province.
- Technical skill development on-snow.
- Learn from some of the most experienced coaches, trainers and therapists in Canada.
- Participate in a dryland program specifically designed for skiers.
MARCH: Applications are open until April 1st. PLEASE SCROLL DOWN to fill in the questions and click APPLY.
APRIL 1: Applications close.
APRIL 15: Preliminary (subject to fitness testing results) athlete selection will be communicated directly by email to all applicants.
APRIL 25-26: SOD Fitness Testing. York University and/or
May 15-17: Dryland weekend. Location TBC.
JUNE CAMP*: Le Deux Alpes, France camp: June 26th – July 10th
AUGUST CAMP*: Zermatt, Switzerland: August 10th – August 28th
Grade 10 Civics and Careers credit available for those registered for either camp (a combination of online prior to camp and in class during camp)
*Please note the camp locations are subject to change but the dates will not change more than 1-2 days on either side. Please see details on the COVID-19 virus and sport in Canada here>
Will be based on athlete rankings at OCUP Mid Winters, OCUP Finals, CanAM Finals and the April 25-26 or May Fitness Testing. (10% hold back for coach discretion). A maximum of 20 athletes will be accepted per camp.
RECOMMENDED FITNESS STANDARDS:
In order to take full advantage of the program, it is recommended that athletes be able to hit the minimums below.
Women: Beep Test-9, Box Jump-50 40cm box, Toes to Bar-3, Hex Railx3 both ways in under 39 sec.
Men: Beep Test-9.5, Box Jump-55 40 cm box, Toes to Bar-3, Hex Railx3 both ways in under 35.7 sec.
- Dryland Program = $400 +HST
- June On-Snow Camp = $3,500 +HST
- August On-Snow Camp = $5,000 +HST
- All flights are in addition to these fees.
- All mandatory insurance in addition to these fees.
*Prices are subject to change.
U16 SELECTION COMMITTEE MEMBERS:
Graeme Buckrell, Head Coach, Osler Bluff Ski Club
Kip Harrington, AOA High-Performance Director
Duncan Gibson-MacLean, AOA Competition Manager
“The AOA U16 HPP was a game-changer for our daughter. She connected with the coaches who identified, explained and provided solutions in such a way that both engaged her and made her understand what she needed to do, and why it needed to be done that way. Ultimately the ski camp made it clear that at this stage of her skiing career, we need to ensure that she is receiving the highest calibre coaching to help her reach her full potential in this sport.” — Parent.