This U16 High-Performance Program (HPP) is an initiative that started in 2016 with consultations with Alpine Canada Alpin (ACA), The Ontario Ministry of Tourism, Culture, and Sport (MTCS) and the AOA member clubs. The program is collaborative in design, to work alongside club and regional programs and in no way replaces the existing club programs, their club/region camps and/or training days. Athletes in the U16 Program remain with their existing teams and clubs.
CRITERIA TO APPLY:
2005 & 2006 AOA Registered athletes from across the province that meet the selection criteria listed below are welcome to apply.
- put the most committed and talented 2005 & 2006 athletes together
- increase an athlete’s time on snow;
- raise their fitness level,
- increase encouragement and motivation;
- supporting AOA clubs with athlete development &
- engage those looking for high-performance initiatives.
Why would an athlete consider this program?
- To work hard while having fun and meeting new friends
- Train alongside the other top athletes in the province
- Technical skill development on-snow
- Learn from some of the most experienced coaches, trainers and therapists in Canada
- Participate in a dryland program specifically designed for skiers
MARCH 1: Applications available on the AOA website (link will be on this page).
APRIL 1: Applications due.
APRIL 15: Preliminary athlete selection.
MAY 15-17: Dryland Weekend.
JUNE CAMP*: Le Deux Alpes, France camp – June 26th – July 10th
AUGUST CAMP*: El Colorado, Chile – August 10th – August 28th
Grade 10 Civics and Careers credit available for those registered for either camp (a combination of online prior to camp and in class during camp)
OCTOBER/NOVEMBER FITNESS TESTING: Mandatory attendance for all program members. Date & location TBD.
*Camp dates may change based on hill availability
Will be based on athlete rankings at OCUP Mid Winters, OCUP FINALS, CANAM Finals and the May 11/12 fitness testing. (10% hold back for coach discretion). A maximum of 20 athletes will be accepted per camp.
RECOMMENDED FITNESS STANDARDS:
In order to take full advantage of the program, it is recommended that athletes be able to hit the minimums below.
Women: Beep Test-9, Box Jump-50 40cm box, Toes to Bar-3, Hex Railx3 both ways in under 39 sec.
Men: Beep Test-9.5, Box Jump-55 40 cm box, Toes to Bar-3, Hex Railx3 both ways in under 35.7 sec.
- Dryland Program = $400 +HST
- June On-Snow Camp = $3,500 +HST
- August On-Snow Camp = $5,000 +HST
- All flights are in addition to these fees.
- All mandatory insurance in addition to these fees.
*Prices are subject to change
U16 SELECTION COMMITTEE MEMBERS:
Graeme Buckrell, Head Coach, Osler Bluff Ski Club
Kip Harrington, AOA High-Performance Director
Duncan Gibson-MacLean, AOA Competition Manager
Please contact Duncan at the AOA office by phone or email 705-888-112 or [email protected]
“The AOA U16 HPP was a game-changer for our daughter. She connected with the coaches who identified, explained and provided solutions in such a way that both engaged her and made her understand what she needed to do, and why it needed to be done that way. Ultimately the ski camp made it clear that at this stage of her skiing career, we need to ensure that she is receiving the highest calibre coaching to help her reach her full potential in this sport.” — Parent.