AOA hosts many coach development opportunities throughout the year including high-performance coaching projects and women in coaching. Applications will be open Nov 12, 2019 for the women in coaching opportunity for the Women’s Nor Am, February 4-8th in the Collingwood area. See below for more.
2020 WOMEN IN COACHING PROGRAM
This program is open to all female Development Level and above (DL+) coaches from across Ontario who will learn, contribute and network alongside top female mentors and alumni at the Women’s Nor-Am in Collingwood Feb 4-8, 2020. Coaches will be provided access to the Nor-Am field of play to observe, participate and learn about high performance coaching and sport, de-brief with Ontario Ski Team coaches, participate in team building and workshops in a fun, social, inclusive environment. Accommodations, lift tickets, meals and professional development opportunities will all be funded by AOA. 15 candidates will be selected for this opportunity.
- To develop elite female alpine ski coaches, who in turn will act as educators and mentors to other aspiring female coaches in Ontario;
- To create a supportive, professional female coaching culture in Ontario;
- To encourage promising female alpine ski coaches across Ontario to reach their full coaching potential.
- To create opportunities for female coaches to further develop their skills and confidence alongside peers and mentors.
- To prepare female alpine ski coaches for the next step in their development pathway – trained to certified or preparation for next level in their professional pathway.
- To expose female ski coaches to high performance environments in Ontario.
- Increase the number of female alpine ski coaches in the Development Level certified and Performance Level;
- Increase number of female alpine ski coaches working full time in the sport at the high performance level;
- Increase number of female mentors in the province of Ontario.
Mentor Lead: Jennifer Stielow, MSc, CSCS, ChPC Senior Manager, Coach Education, Alpine Canada Alpin.
Mentors: Sarah Edwards, Manager of Coach Education and Delivery, Alpine Ontario Alpin and more!
Mentor Support: Ontario female Ontario and Canadian Alpine Ski Team Alumni.
- Female coach must be DL trained or above preferred.
- Must be employed currently with an AOA member club as a coach.
- Must be actively working towards coach pathway progression.
- The Ski Club will support the mentee nomination and pay their daily salary rate Feb. 4th through Feb. 8th. AOA will require written confirmation from club.
- Complete the application including submitting a letter of recommendation from a current or past supervisor and confirmation of salary coverage by home club.
- Applications will begin being accepted Wed Nov 12, 2019.
- Why are you interested in participating in the 2020 Women in Coaching Program?
- Are you available from Feb 3-Feb 8th to participate in the full project?
- How long have you been alpine ski race coaching?
- What age group do you currently coach?
- What are your 5 and 10 year goals as an alpine ski race coach?
- Do you work with any other kick ass women at your club?
- What are you hoping to gain as a result of participating in this opportunity?
- Who has been your mentor or inspiration in the alpine ski race world?
- What are some challenges you have faced as a ski coach and how have you overcome them?
Applications are open until Dec. 9th, 2019
Any questions please contact Robyn Skinner at [email protected]