AOA hosts many coach development opportunities throughout the year including high-performance coaching projects and women in coaching.
Click here for more on the 2021 Virtual Coach Education Sessions we are running.
2022 WOMEN IN COACHING PROGRAM
2020 Women in Coaching Program participants with Jenni Stielow, ACA Senior Manager Coach Education, Kip Harrington AOA High Performance Director and Rick Cook NCCP/ACA Master Coach Facilitator and Mentor
This program is open to all female Development Level and above (DL+) coaches from across Ontario who will learn, contribute and network alongside top female mentors and alumni at the Women’s Nor-Am in Collingwood Feb 8-11, 2022. Coaches will be provided access to the Nor-Am field of play to observe, participate and learn about high performance coaching and sport, de-brief with Ontario Ski Team and Alpine Canada coaches, participate in team building and workshops in a fun, social, inclusive environment. Accommodations, lift tickets, meals and professional development opportunities will all be funded by AOA. Up to 15 candidates will be selected for this opportunity.
The 2022 program will build on the 2020 program during the Nor-Am that was a huge success. Below are a few comments from participants from 2020:
“The woman in coaching event hosted by AOA gave me so many wonderful experiences to meet and work along side some of the best female coaches in Ontario and Canada. AOA has created a platform for female coaches to strive and begin challenging themselves to stay in sport and continue with their own coaching education. It has been wonderful to create connections throughout the ski industry that will last a lifetime.”
“Getting to observe and de-brief with coaches at the Collingwood Nor-Ams was really fun, refreshing, and a great learning experience. I also met a tonne of new friends and colleagues at this interface, and it made me feel more connected and supported in coaching!”
“The 2020 NorAm Women in Coaching Program was a great opportunity for women across the province to come together and share their passion for ski racing and coaching! I would highly suggest any female coach to apply!!”
New for 2022 will be more focus on ski improvement, hands on opportunities and individual coach pathway assistance.
- To develop elite female alpine ski coaches, who in turn will act as educators and mentors to other aspiring female coaches in Ontario;
- To create a supportive, professional female coaching culture in Ontario;
- To encourage promising female alpine ski coaches across Ontario to reach their full coaching potential.
- To create opportunities for female coaches to further develop their skills and confidence alongside peers and mentors.
- To prepare female alpine ski coaches for the next step in their development pathway – trained to certified or preparation for next level in their professional pathway.
- To expose female ski coaches to high performance environments in Ontario.
- Increase the number of female alpine ski coaches in the Development Level certified and Performance Level;
- Increase number of female alpine ski coaches working full time in the sport at the high performance level;
- Increase number of female mentors in the province of Ontario.
Mentors: Jennifer Stielow, MSc, CSCS, ChPC Senior Manager, Coach Education, Alpine Canada Alpin, Sarah Edwards, Manager of Coach Education and Delivery, Alpine Ontario Alpin, Kip Harrington AOA High Performance Director, Rick Cook NCCP/ACA Master Coach Facilitator and Mentor, Cam Stephen, Ontario Ski Team Women’s Coach and more!
- Female coach must be DL trained or above preferred.
- Must be employed currently with an AOA member club as a coach.
- Must be actively working towards coach pathway progression.
- The Ski Club will support the mentee nomination and pay their daily salary rate Feb. 8-Feb. 11 for those days they would be normally working.
- Complete the application including submitting a letter of recommendation from a current or past supervisor and confirmation of salary coverage by home club.
- Applications will begin being accepted Wed Dec 1 and close Dec 15. All candidates will be notified by Dec 20th as to the status of their participation.
- All participants must be double vaccinated as per ACA’s policy for international events.
- Why are you interested in participating in the 2022 Women in Coaching Program?
- Are you available from Feb 8-Feb 11 to participate in the full project?
- How long have you been alpine ski race coaching?
- What age group do you currently coach?
- What are your 5 and 10 year goals as an alpine ski race coach?
- Do you work with any other kick ass women at your club?
- What are you hoping to gain as a result of participating in this opportunity?
- Who has been your mentor or inspiration in the alpine ski race world?
- What are some challenges you have faced as a ski coach and how have you overcome them?
Applications are now closed for the 2022 program.
Any questions please contact Robyn Skinner at [email protected]