CAST Women to Race in Raymond James Nor-Am Cup
COLLINGWOOD, ON (January 15, 2020) Get ready to cheer on the best female alpine skiers in North America as they roll into town early February as part of their Nor-Am Cup ski racing tour. Alpine Ontario (AOA), along with Georgian Peaks, Osler Bluff and Craigleith Ski Clubs, are pleased to welcome 80 to 100 of these athletes to the region including these members of the Canadian Alpine Ski Team (CAST), Candace Crawford, Georgian Peaks/Toronto, Erin Mielzynski, Georgian Peaks/Collingwood, Ali Nullmeyer, Georgian Peaks/Toronto, Roni Remme, Alpine Ski Club/Collingwood, Amelia Smart, Invermere, BC and Laurence St Germain, St. Ferréol-les-Neiges, Quebec.
This event will be the pinnacle ski racing event for the region for 2020 and will be led by return chairs, John and Sue Mealey of The Georgian Peaks Club. The Mealey family were instrumental in bringing the Nor-Am Cup back to Collingwood last year after a 15-year hiatus.
Sue Mealey comments. “We are super excited to chair this event again as its such an important milestone in any athletes career to compete at this level, on the very precipice of the World Cup tour! There are so many wonderful people engaged in the ski community in Ontario and they are a huge reason why this event is back. We truly wish to thank all of those that have stepped up to offer their support”
Raymond James is also thrilled to return as Title Sponsor. Raymond James Managing Director, Investment Banking Glenn Gatcliffe states “This is a fantastic opportunity for our employees and clients to support much-needed assistance for amateur sport and also to support women in athletics, officiating, coaching and other initiatives as part of the Fast and Female initiative”
SCHEDULE OF EVENTS:
- Tuesday, Feb 4th Georgian Peaks, Giant Slalom
- Wednesday, Feb 5th Georgian Peaks, Giant Slalom
- Thursday, Feb 6th Osler Bluff Ski Club, Slalom
- Friday, Feb 7th Osler Bluff Ski Club, Slalom
- Saturday, Feb. 8th Craigleith Ski Club, Parallel Slalom Night race, 5:00 pm Anthem & races
- Saturday, Feb. 8th Craigleith Ski Club, FAMILY PARTY, 5-10 pm $ Details & Tickets here>
- Saturday, Feb. 8th Craigleith Ski Club, FIREWORKS following the awards ceremony.
- Athletes will have the chance to win $22,000 in prize money that goes a long way to help support athletes in reaching their goals!
- Title Sponsor, Raymond James; presenting sponsors: Eight Capital, Rossignol, Blake Farrow, Georgian Bay Hotel and hosting sponsors: Georgian Peaks Club, Osler Bluff Ski Club, Craigleith Ski Club.
- AOA is hosting a women’s coach development program during the 5-day event whereby 17 successful coach candidates will be selected to learn from mentors on the Nor-Am field of play and participate in networking with other female coaches from across the province.
- AOA is hosting a Fast & Female 2-day all-girls ski camp at Osler Bluff Ski Club during the event. While the best women in North America compete to win, over 100+ U14 and U16 future ski racing girls will also be on the hill training and learning from an all-female coaching staff and witnessing top athletes in action. Learn more & sign up here>
- AOA is hosting a women’s officials development program during the event whereby 15 female officials will be given the opportunity to gain valuable experience training alongside experienced peers and ROC’s.
- Over 240 volunteers will participate in the event with approximately 60 volunteers on the hill daily to ensure the races are safe, timely, professional and fun for the spectators.
- The Chair of the event is the Mealey family – husband and wife team, John and Sue, long-time members of Georgian Peaks. John is a former member of the Canadian Alpine Ski Team (CAST) and a former volunteer ski coach who has lived in the Collingwood area for the past 10 years.
For more information in the coming weeks please visit the event website here https://www.alpineontario.ca/2020noram/
About the Nor-Am Cup. The NorAm Cup is the most competitive racing series in North America outside of the World Cup. Athletes who earn a top spot in the season series are provided with a birth on the World Cup for the following competitive season. The races will attract some of North America’s best alpine ski racers, including members of the Canadian and US Alpine Ski Teams. Members of the Ontario Ski Team and Quebec Ski Team will also be in the gates, for some of the younger athletes, these events will be their first exposure to such a high calibre of racing.
About Fast and Female. Fast and Female’s mission is to keep girls healthy and active in sports because it sets them up to succeed and lead in life beyond sports. We are driven to fulfil our mission because aside from the obvious benefits of physical health and wellness, we know that sports help young women develop the confidence, leadership and teamwork skills that are essential for success in later life.
Founded in 2005, Fast and Female is a registered charity led by two friends, athletic rivals, and moms who happen to be Olympic gold medalists in cross-country skiing: Canadian Chandra Crawford and American Kikkan Randall. www.fastandfemale.com
For more information contact:
Kristin Ellis | Alpine Ontario Alpin
T: 705-444-5111 x132
Whitney Hunter | ALPINE CANADA ALPIN
Manager, Communications | Gestionnaire, Communications